Coaching – The what & why
Coaching with Kim
Kim Rakow Bernier is a certified professional coach who partners with social change leaders across the organizational chart who are looking to expand their potential to lead and live from within. She is especially energized by coaching leaders in personal and professional transition and those committed to a journey of equity, justice and the development of anti-racist skills and practices. Kim’s commitment to coach partners is to show up fully rooted in an open-hearted, creative, non-judgmental, and compassionate presence.
Though Kim’s early days of coaching were on the soccer field, her formal professional coach training is through Leadership that Works’ Coaching for Transformation program, an International Coach’s Federation (IFC) accredited program. Coaching for Transformation stands on the shoulders of the human development field, psychology, soul work from indigenous cultures, and philosophies of the East. No other program offers such an interdisciplinary approach to transformational coaching. Coaching for Transformation is unique in its integration of cultural awareness and social justice in coaching. She is accredited through ICF as an Associate Certified Coach (ACC).
Why Get Coaching?
- increase effectiveness as a leader
- get support in meeting goals
- connect with personal mission & values
- get professionally unstuck
- create a more fulfilling job and life
- plan a professional transition
- decrease burnout
- create more balance
Potential Benefits of Coaching
- Greater fulfillment of leadership and life purpose, dreams, and goals
- Clarity about what is present and possible
- New relationship with the inner critic and inner mentor
- Awareness and transformation of limiting beliefs
- Increased emotional intelligence
- Shifts in mindset and habits
- Increased or renewed energy, passion, alignment, and sense of wholeness
- Enhanced sense of confidence, ease, and creativity
What is Coaching
- A partnership focused on personal growth to meet pressing challenges with new levels of creativity and awareness
- A sacred space to talk about what’s most important, how to engage it, and to create an action plan with support and accountability
- Empowering questions to move beyond limiting beliefs and acknowledge relationships with external systems, structures, power and privilege
- Space to connect with inner wisdom, strengths, passions, values and needs in service of making an impact in the world
- An outside partner to act as a confidential sounding board, witness, champion, and accountability buddy
- Welcoming environment to bring all parts of your identity and culture
What Coaching is NOT
- Coaching is not an expert advice or “quick fix” modality—unlike consulting or technical assistance, a coach does not provide expertise, answers and solutions. In coaching, the client is the expert on their own life, circumstances and solutions.
- Coaching is not therapy. The primary focus of therapy is generally on mental health and healing psychological challenges such as depression, anxiety, phobia, trauma, destructive behavior and addiction.
Coaching Engagement and Investment
A coaching engagement is a generally a minimum of three to four months which includes:
- An initial 90-minute, in-depth Discovery Session to explore how we will work in partnership, connect with your strengths, values, and passions, and frame the goals for our work together
- Six coaching sessions, about 1-hour each
- A final 1-hour session focused on integrating learning, celebrating and sustaining success
- Email or text support between sessions, as needed
- Co-designed exercises, homework, and insights tailored to and in partnership with the client
Coaching is one of many modalities for personal growth, learning, healing and transformation. Contact me to sign up for a 45-minute complimentary session to determine if we are a good match.