As we prepare to work together, I’m happy to share a window into what shapes me.
I was born and raised in Southern California as the middle of three siblings in a family with mid-western, Scandinavian, and Germanic roots. I have been married for over 20 years and live with my husband and two school-aged children who attend public schools in Seattle. I have not followed a particular religious practice, though I have found spirituality and interconnectedness in Eastern philosophies, poetry, nature, and a practice of mindfulness.
I have enjoyed a lifetime of cultivating awareness, learning, and love of other cultures. An early 20’s experience as a Peace Corps volunteer shaped my still evolving passion and accountability to locally owned, and culturally relevant community development and leadership – in other words, I believe that change is best led by the people closest to and most affected by the problem.
I am fluent (though rusty!) in Spanish and conversant in Solomon Pijin and have had the honor of living, studying and working in Los Angeles, Argentina, Boston, Spain, Seattle, Kenya, and Burma/Myanmar.
In the last five years, I have deepened my awareness of my own implicit bias and internalized white supremacy and am on a journey to develop and be accountable for anti-racist skills and practices in service of love and justice. I aim to live and work in alignment with my personal values of connection, integrity, and humility.
In my “free” time, I can be found playing soccer, enjoying family and friends, making family photo albums, volunteering in the community, and running (to keep up with my kids!)
Credentials at a Glance
- Certified Professional Coach, Coaching for Transformation, Leadership that Works, ACTP of the International Coach Federation
- ICF Associate Certified Coach (ACC)
- MPA, Gateway: Nonprofit Management, Evans School of Public Affairs, University of Washington
- Certificate in International Development Policy and Management, University of Washington
- BA, International Relations and Spanish, Tufts University
Key Leadership Roles
- Part-time Managing Director and faculty for Global Leadership Forum, a leadership development cohort program for globally oriented social purpose senior and emerging leaders (2017–present)
- Co-developed and teach Washington Nonprofits’ strategic planning module to local and national audiences (2017– present)
- EarthCorps board member for seven years including roles as President of the Board, Co-Chair of the Joint Committee of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion, and Chair of the Strategic Planning Committee. Currently serving as at-large member of the board committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (2013– present)
- Executive Director and first paid staff of Pangea Giving, a Seattle-based global giving circle that partners with grassroots, community-based organizations in East Africa, Southeast Asia and Latin America (2014–2017)
- Developed and managed the professional development and outreach program at Facing the Future that reached over 2,000 K-12 teachers and 1.5 million students each year with global and sustainability education programming (2003–2012)
- Co-Chair of the K-12 Sector Team of the US Partnership, UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2007 – 2012)
- Learning Lab for Facilitators of White Affinity, with Corita Brown and Anne Tomkinson (2020)
- How to Hold Whiteness Responsibly, with Laura Brewer (2020)
- Truth, Healing, & Action: An Anti-Racism Webinar Series, Community Equity Partners (2020)
- Design Thinking and Strategic Planning, Stanford Social Innovation Review (2019)
- Interim Executive Director Academy, Third Sector Company (2019)
- Building Racial Equity: Foundations, Race Forward (2019)
- Leadership and Equity, Washington Nonprofit Pre-Conference Deep Dive with Aparna Rae and Fleur Larsen (2019)
- Train the Trainer Series, Washington Nonprofits (2018)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction 8-week Course (2017)
- Culturally Competent Leadership in the 21st Century, Cultures Connecting and Philanthropy Northwest (2016)
- Global Leadership Forum, Cohort IV (2014–2015)
- Consulting Skills, Organizational Systems Renewal (2013)